Friday, August 20, 2010

Medicine Cabinet Makeover




Well I haven't gotten ambitious enough (YET) to clean out and pretty the inside of my Linen Closet, 
but I did manage to find an hour to makeover the inside of our Master Bath Medicine Cabinet!
 I got out my mod podge, paint brush, 2 pieces of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper (wallpaper would also work) and some windex and paper towels! This project was so easy and it really did only take about an hour! 


I believe this is the original cabinet that was installed last century...it was too pretty to update... it has a wonderful beveled shape across the top and beautiful etched glass work.

I am embarrassed to show you the inside, but here is how it was...


a bit grungy and yucky


I removed all the contents, including the glass shelves (which needed a major cleaning!),
then I wiped the inside of the cabinet out with paper towels and windex.


Then with my paint brush, I painted the inside with a coat of my mod podge
and immediately laid the 2 pieces of scrapbook paper onto the wet glue inside the cabinet...
I overlapped them but tried to match the pattern the best I could, and
then I applied another coat of modge podge to seal the paper and let it dry (it dried super fast).


I replaced the squeeky clean glass shelves
then "neatly" replaced the necessary items back into the cabinet


and there you have it! 
Now I can enjoy a pretty surprise every time I open the Medicine Cabinet!


Here are a few more shots of the Master Bath...Mind you back in the 1880's 
they did not make bathrooms very big! Although, we were impressed that this bathroom is attatched to the Master Bedroom and has a wonderful, adorable dressing room...more pics of that later!!


Oh, and I always have to include some pics of what the Bathroom looked like BEFORE we worked our magic! Yes..that is the ugliest shade of green...mind you the whole house was just about painted green!! We painted the faux tile bead board white and painted the walls a pretty blue. We also changed out the vintage green light fixtures. How about those!! And of course then I added some decorative touches!


Umm..someone forgot to paint behind the toilet!!


Have a wonderful weekend!! Oh, and I'm linking up with The DIY Show Off!

Click Here





13 comments:

  1. That is a great idea. I have a vintage medicine cabinet similar to yours. You have "inspired" me to make over the inside of my cabinet.

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love it! There is a med cabinet in my daughters bathroom so I may need to try this. Thanks for the inspiration and have a great weekend.
    xoxo~
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! You've got a quite a cute blog here! I love your style! Signed on as your newest follower!!

    ~ Polly ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. just discovered your charming blog through secret garden cottage .. What a great idea... We have THE EXACT medicine cabinet in my children's bathroom ..
    You gave me a great idea! Thank you and I will be back!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect the mirrors from old medicine cabinets...they are so pretty. I love yours!! Great job redoing the inside of your cabinet.
    Debbie@houseatthelake

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice! I'm sure you smile every time you open the cabinet door. There's nothing better than giving something like that a good cleaning and polishing. But you went the extra mile by prettying up the inside with decorative paper. Can you believe I don't have a medicine cabinet in my house? Guess that's new construction for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful! Most people's medicine cabinets are a mess (LOL). I don't have a medicine cabinet, but now I WANT to get one! Thanks for this fabulous idea!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fantastic!
    I can't wait to snoop around and see more pics of your beautiful home!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa! What a wonderful idea! I'm now a happy follower of your creative blog (thanks to Jo @ Secret Garden Cottage)! Loving your ideas, and I'm definitely going to spend more time checking out Picnik. Your photo turned out beautiful!

    xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just popped over here from Secret Garden Cottage and wow, your blog is gorgeous! Your home looks amazing:) I am now following you and look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea!!!
    And I thought I was finally finished with my bathroom!
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I deeply appreciate your comment, and I read each and every one!

You may also enjoy:

Related Posts with Thumbnails